Friday, July 20, 2007

Friday Forecast Returns!

I've a feeling that something like this may come up from one of our watchees. Not that particular version, obviously, but the Hewitt-Petraeus line. (Via John Cole who subsequently got some stick.)

Has the Staggers completely lost Nick now? I was never a huge fan - when I used to buy it in the 80s, I stuck to the book reviews at the back rather than the worthy stuff at the front, but to call the current issue a lot of toss is probably overestimating its worth several times over. How, exactly, can a clever guy like David Miliband put his name to this crap? (The one bit I liked was the last paragraph with 'John F Kennedy got this right. He said foreign policy should be based on "idealism without illusions".' I didn't know that - and that's quite a clever philosophical joke. DM sees it as deep. Dipshit.)

Not a prediction, but a request: please Aaro, do a domestic, liberal piece - smart people I knew who smoked cannabis or something. You do those well. Stick to anything you can write from experience or can fill out with useful quotes from phone interviews. No third-hand Iraq stuff. Please. As for Nick, go interview Richard Dawkins. I like Dawkins, and as long as he does all the talking, you can't go wrong. If what you're writing starts to sound like "When I were a lad, ..." just shred it. Now.

OK Predictions: Aaro - cannabis; Nick - Iraq, going well says US general.

5 Comments:

Blogger Captain Cabernet said...

I think Nick will endorse the Miliband, maybe Dave too.

7/21/2007 10:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick will do something on Galloway, I imagine - maybe in relation to cash for honours (money politics etc)
Ann On

7/21/2007 03:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stinging review of Nick's "What's left" by Johann Hari on his site (also in Dissent magazine)

7/23/2007 03:51:00 PM  
Blogger Ray said...

There's a new Facebook group "Offer Asylum to Iraqis Working for the British Armed Forces"
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2535669347&ref=nf
and Nick is listed as a member.
I suppose an article on the subject would be too much to expect...

7/25/2007 01:20:00 PM  
Blogger Chardonnay Chap said...

As is more than one AW member. ;-)

7/27/2007 07:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home