Saturday, March 11, 2006

Moderating Comments

No, not ours. Aaro's. He was asked here:
If these comments are moderated can someone please tell me what definition of moderate the moderator is using?

Dave, to his credit, has still kept comments open and has replied.
Well clearly by "moderating" I don't mean taking, say, a pro-Galloway comment and turning it into support for Ming Campbell. Even if I think that's what some people will do over the next few months. I have cut out a rather explicit joke, but I left in two Anti-Semitic comments from a "GK", simply to remind us of what's out there, and because it represents one small strain of e.mail that I do receive pretty constantly.

I don't GK is the only nutter whose comments are racist and inflammatory. Going by the example of H'sP, it seems that once you let one crazy rant, you just attract more.

What do you think? Appropriately, this is an open thread for DA (and NC related) stuff. I'd also be pleased if someone can explain the Galloway/Ming Campbell reference.

Update2:15 pm. I forgot to mention DA's other post: on Gary Younge. I've written a comment (let's see if it gets through the moderation process), but I'd like to add something here, because I can use links. Mike, who has commented here, speculates on Muslims attacking Gary Younge, despite his admiration for DA's courage over the cartoons things, and the lack of any actual violence toward DA as a result.

If attacking Muslims is, as Mike seems to believe, life-endangering, Charles Johnson is in remarkably fine health. You can read Dennis the Peasant's view's on Charles Johnson's racism and another post on a visit to a mosque in Ohio. There are plenty of Muslims in the US. Guns are legal. Charles Johnson is still walking about. Dangerous? My ass.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

possible nice interpretation of galloway-ming point: some of those who supported galloway until recently will now drift away from respect as gg moves (further) into mere silly showbiz, and attach themselves instead to a somewhat revived (and more efrfectively anti-war?) lib dem party?

3/11/2006 02:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is a weak pun on "moderate", as in, shifting a comment from supporting GG to supporting SMC would be making it more moderate.

3/11/2006 04:25:00 PM  
Blogger levi9909 said...

Call me naive but I'm quite shocked at Aaronovitch's ad hominem attack on Gary Younge and the comment he allowed through from "Mike" was even worse.

Younge didn't even attack Aaronovitch by name and he was dealing with the principle of paying absurd compliments to people who don't deserve them.

3/12/2006 03:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home